Saturday, September 22, 2012

Stay in Paradise

I don't think I have ever seen a picture of Mykonos before coming on this trip, and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by the town.

We arrived at out hotel, which was a last minute booking as we canceled out Airbnb place because we all wanted a pool, and was met with a very friendly staff and a welcoming pool. The place was nice and quiet, away from downtown Mykonos. We sat on a hilltop and with a great view of the water from the balcony of our room.



The stay in Mykonos was definitely memorable.

Every morning we had a great breakfast buffet, free of charge, at the hotel where the nice Greek lady would make me my three fried eggs hard over. The pool never had more than 6 people laying around it, and even less people swimming in it! This was perfect for Margaret and I are we both enjoy a cool down from the tanning that we did.

Every night we had amazing food.

Jim was a bit disappointed, as was I, that in Athens we did not have any lamb. So we both took advantage of the lamb dishes over the five days in Mykonos. Every night the dinners were delicious. There is this Greek shot they make you take at the end of your meal, pretty sweet, transparent in colour, anyone know what the name is? Or what it is made of?

Mmmm huge piece of lamb in the middle with pasta
Speaking of deliciousness, WATERMELON JUICE!



Mykonos town was beautiful! Having no idea what to expect, I was impressed with how clean and orderly everything was in the heart of the town. It was quite different to see all houses and building painted white, even the narrow lanes that run everywhere in town were painted white around the stones. Of course I took a lot of pictures! Random walls, random staircases. I think I was just taking pictures of anything that was white, didn't matter if it was an entrance to a public washroom!




There were also these funky looking windmills that sits on a hill overlooking the town and the harbour. These mills are no longer in use, but they do make a great background for photos! Along the base of the hill by the windmill is where "Little Venice" is. Walking along the restaurant lined lane, the waves from the ocean crashes onto the first row of tables! Does this mean I don't have to go to Venice? I hear it really isn't all that nice.




I think the best part of the five days spent in Mykonos was having Jim and Margaret with us. I introduced to them how to play Big 2 (which I won, by a landslide two nights in a row!). I think I had a score less than 20 two nights in a row, and won numerous hands. On the last day, everyone was getting the hang of the game and I was gracious enough to let them have a taste of winning a hand. :)

Another great memory was me and Jim's triumph over Matt and Margaret in an intense best of 5 sets match of ping pong. Having won two in a row, we thought we were going to take this in straight sets, but Margaret surprised us all with some crazy acrobatic moves which evened out the match at two sets all. I think the pressure did get to them at the end, as Jim and I finished them off!

A couple of honourable mentions during this leg of the trip. I saw pelicans! They were just sitting around at the waterfront. I was on my way to the washroom when I spotted all the tourists gathered around this one corner, when I approached I was in awe! They were HUGE! One Chinese lady attempted to get real close for a picture! I couldn't do it, just did not know what these birds can do with those crazy red/pink eyes and the large beak!


Honourable mention number 2, I wonder what these shots taste like!



We spent the last day thinking a day trip out to the Island of Delos would be a great idea, having been told it was a short 15 minute ferry ride away. What the guy actually meant was that its about 45 minutes through some rough water in a small ferry that probably fits around 50 people! Secret to you all, as strong as I might seem, I hate, absolutely hate the feeling of a rocking boat. I was pretty sure my three fried eggs were going to be dripping off the side of the boat during the ride over to the island!

The Island of Delos, also the place where Apollo was supposedly born, is quite spectacular.



Basically the island used to be inhabited by about 30,000 citizens but today, it is a museum, an archeological sight. Even when we were there, workers were busy uncovering more of this old town. This place is definitely worth a visit, some beautifully preserved mosaic art on temple floors, and you can go into most of the old homes/chambers and explore on your own! Another neat place to visit while on Delos is the theatre that sits on top of the hill.



I have to say that when Jim and Margaret left, it felt really weird! A part of me wanted to head back to BC with them! Thanks to the two of you for making your way out to Greece!

This is definitely a place I'd come back to, minus the ferry over from Athens!


Get ready for me Barcelona!

No comments:

Post a Comment